Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Case for Ron Paul

I often quote Dave Black on my main blog, The Voice of One Crying Out In Suburbia, but today I am quoting him over here because of his great thoughts on the admirable qualities of Ron Paul. His musings are replicated below in their entirety for your reading pleasure...


Ron Paul fascinates me. I like the man. Issues aside, his campaign has several aspects to it I think are downright admirable.

1) He's durable. He's already outlasted most of the other GOP contenders. Will he win the nomination? Of course not. The best he can hope for is a speaker's slot at the convention. And he'll get it because of his tenacity. (Are you listening, Sarah and Rick?)

2) He's an underdog. I've always been an incurable infracaninophile. I realize that, to many people, Paul represents a "lost cause." He's considered eccentric at best, a self-deluded obscurantist at worst. But there is nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. I love people who espouse minority views. Sometimes they turn out to be right.

3) He's an insider. That is, he works within the status quo in order to change it. Let others campaign under the flag of the Constitution Party. That's not the track Paul is on. He seeks to reform the GOP from within. His message is a simple one: "The Constitution is the law of land. Why not obey it?" Good question, if you ask me.

4) This last point reminds me that Paul is a radical. He's calling America back to her radix, her rootedness in a philosophy that limits government's powers. He's like one of those sixteenth century Anabaptists who not only espouses sola scriptura but practices it. Gotta love a guy like that.

5) Finally, Paul lacks charisma. Ever notice that? The man looks awkward in his ill-fitting business suits. His speech lacks polish. No one would claim that Paul looks like a winner. But could this not be an asset in life? The charlatan talks a good game, may even dress the part. But with Paul, what you see is what you get. I suppose he feels as uncomfortable in his "spit and polish" role as he does sitting in a Congress that is far more glitter than gold.

The Ron Paul Revolution hasn't attracted arcane traditionalists. It never will. Support runs strongest among younger voters. Mathematically, his is a lost cause. The establishment practically ignores him. But I like him. I've always liked those constitutionalists who are ill-suited for straight-jackets.
Post a Comment