Friday, June 3, 2011

Georgia Governor Nathan Deal must read my blog

Back in March, I put up a post, A Simple Solution, where I suggested that we could kill two birds with one stone by cracking down on illegal immigrants who do farm labor and cutting unemployment benefits to incentivize people to take on harder jobs. Turns out Governor Nathan Deal of Georgia must have read my post according to CNN, To address unemployment, Georgia governor proposes farm work.

Are you out of work? Are you looking for a job? Do you live in Georgia?

If the answer to those questions is "yes," Gov. Nathan Deal has an idea for you: Become a farm worker.
Governor Deal seems to have made the connection: a lot of people out of work, no money for unemployment, lots of openings in farm work because of actually enforcing immigration laws in his state.

Ah, but in the spirit of American entitlement, this is pretty unpopular among those getting free money from the government for not working…
For some unemployed Georgians, however, the idea is not so appealing.

Marci Mosley, who lives in Atlanta, has been out of work for more than a year. She said she would only work on a farm as a last resort.

"I have a phobia of snakes," Mosley said. "I hate spiders...You have to get up early in the morning, and it's hot."

Mosley, an African-American, said she used to work on her grandfather's farm in Texas, where he stressed the importance of a good education to get off the farm. Mosley believes Deal's plan would be a tough sell for many other African Americans, who saw their older relatives struggle farming.

"It could be a setback for people," Mosley said. "The only people that would even think about doing that are people who have nothing else left...An educated black person does not have time for that. They didn't go to school to work on a farm, and they're not going to do it."
That’s the spirit! It is hot and you have to get up early, so we ain’t doing it! It is apparently my right as an American to only do jobs that I really, really like doing and that are not too physically taxing or require me to change my sleep patterns or for crying out loud where I might see a spider!

I am willing to bet that if unemployment ran out a lot sooner, all of a sudden jobs that were “jobs Americans won’t do” would suddenly seem a lot more acceptable.
Post a Comment