Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Good Riddance!

Senator Arlen Specter, perhaps the epitome of the RINO politician (Republican In Name Only), has decided to switch parties and become in name what he has been in fact for a long time: a Democrat. Party switches happen with some regularity. A few northeastern Liberal Republicans switched as the GOP became politically more conservative. A number of Southern Democrats likewise switched as the Democrats became more and more beholden to the extreme Left. They are driven in large part of ideology that no longer fits with their party. That is not the case for Arlen Specter. From his statement…

Since then, I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania.

Far be it for a politician to have to stand on his record and face a referendum from his party on his actions! The smarmy, pseudo-hurt of his statement belies the arrogant truth: how dare I, long serving (29 years!) and noble political warrior that I am, be called to account by the unwashed masses who voted me in!

The real reason behind Specter’s switch is the motivation that drives almost every politician: self-preservation. Nothing is more frightening to a career politician than the idea of losing their seat and therefore losing their power and influence. Senator Specter saw the handwriting on the wall: he was unlikely to win a primary and would lose his seat in an ignominious way, defeated as an incumbent in a party primary. Plus he no doubt got some sweets from the Senator Reid and company who are desperate to get that 60th vote in order to ram through massive government spending and expansion of government before popular support can gain more traction. This was, even in the world we live in today, an especially cynical and self-interested move by Senator Specter. I say good riddance. High time that backstabbing liberal “Republicans” move on to where they belong, the party of entitlement, class warfare and race baiting.
Post a Comment